LoveSac Sactional Review
Life has been so busy lately. Mostly good busy but you know, it would be so great to have a weekend where we had NOTHING to do. A weekend where the house was already cleaned, no projects needed to be done, and we could just lay around on our couch all weekend watching Netflix. Our LoveSac couch is perfect for those kind of rare weekends. When I say rare, I mean "never happens". But I can dream!
A few months ago, we went on the hunt for a couch for our living room our whole family could enjoy. The kind of couch that you dream about laying on all weekend with no worries of the kids making spills on it and every one can have their owns space without being on top of each other (important factors for a family with three kids). Here were our must haves:
- 100% Washable slipcovers (see: kids who spill and wipe their dirty fingers on furniture regularly)
- Comfortable (not just comfortable for one person, but for all)
- Deep seating (you know for that real deep couch sittin')
- Durable (see: same kids who spill things also jump for hours)
- Light fabric that can handle washing
- Classic and timeless appearance (not just a couch that is "on trend")
- Versatile style that can adapt to changing decor constantly (see: schizophrenic decorator)
Not too much to ask for right? :)
Ok, so we had some major hunting to do. I knew about LoveSac already because we own the PillowSac - a square-shaped LoveSac that can fold into a chair, rocking chair, or full size bed. So I after doing some shopping for couches on the typical websites and not finding a couch that fit all my must-haves, I tried LoveSac. I heard that they made sectional couches that they call "sactionals" that really intrigued me because of their washable slipcovers and reconfigurable design.
Reconfigurable you say? Yes! Um, bingo! That just spoke to my decorating-schizophrenic heart. You can reconfigure these sactionals into any shape you like! One couch with 7 seats and 8 sides has the ability to be one long couch, two separate couches with ottomans, an "L" shaped couch with a separate chaise chair, a "W" shape for movie lounging, an "S' shape with their new curved seats, it can be a playpen for kids, it can be...well, you get the idea. The options are endless. Just watch this video:
This was going to be a big investment for us, so I made sure to do as much homework as possible on it. When I say investment, I mean it. I'm not the person who spends this much money on furniture usually. Many pieces we own are hand-me-downs, garage sale finds, or vintage pieces. When I shop for new items, I'm more of an Ikea and World Market shopper than a Restoration Hardware shopper. It's just not in our budget usually. But I knew that I wanted to buy the right couch for our family that was made to last, not a couch that would be uncomfortable or trendy or something that would look good for 2 minutes and then my kids would destroy it and we would have to buy another couch. LoveSac also offers special financing and we took advantage of that option to make it work for our budget.
After much mulling over, we decided to get the LoveSac 7 Seat/8 Side Sactional in Tan Slub Tween.
The LoveSac Sactional met EVERY. SINGLE. MUST-HAVE. on my list and here is why:
These couches are 100% washable - the back covers, the pillowcases, the seat covers, and the base covers can all be taken off and washed in a washing machine and hung to dry. They do not dry wrinkly and there is NO IRONING involved! Hallelujah!
They are really comfortable. Have you ever sat in a LoveSac? You can imagine how comfortable their couches would be if you have. They are made of soft foam - not firm. They only feel firm the first week you have them and then it feels like a perfectly worn-in couch that you've had for years.
The way we have positioned our couch currently is in the "W" position and it is perfect for that "deep couch sittin'". Every seat is a chaise lounge and plenty of room to spread out and watch a movie (if you can make it through without falling asleep).
Shop the Pillows:
LoveSac sactionals come in many different fabrics. We chose the tan slub tweed. It is more like a light gray (I wouldn't call it tan) linen texture. You would think with having three kids, we might have gone with a darker sofa just to avoid stains, but with LoveSac covers, you can get the light look without worrying because it's all washable! Plus, heaven forbid, we do something to the couch that a washing machine can't fix, we can simply buy a new cover just for that section or recover the entire couch for a whole new look.
The couch has a very generic style. I mean that in a positive way! It's not 100% modern, traditional, transitional, or contemporary. It's sort of all of those. I like its versatile style because although I am loving the rustic farmhouse style that is so trendy right now, I might want to change it up in a few years and I won't need to worry about buying a new couch. I can simply switch up the throw pillow or the arms of the couch and have a whole new look.
And lastly its L A R G E. Which is perfect for our needs... right now. But what happens if we need to downsize or want to rearrange things and need the couch to fit into a smaller room? Easy, the couch just comes apart and can be shaped into whatever size we need. No tools needed and anyone can do it. The reconfigurable pieces are held together by a few strong pieces of steel and it is easy to lift them up and just move the bases in any shape you want. You can see how we have it in a standard sectional shape below compared to the W shape we currently have (shown above).
Some things you should know about these couches:
1. They come in separate pieces. Each part of this couch comes in its own box (except for the cushions which come inside the bases). As the boxes arrive, try to unpack your couch and organize it so that when you are ready to assemble it, everything has a place and it goes really quickly. We were actually really surprised at just how quickly it went up and boxes were put away.
2. Do not dry your covers. They are meant to hang dry so they do not shrink. At first, I was disappointed to find out they couldn't be put in the dryer but it doesn't bother me now that I have washed them a few times. They dry super fast and they are not difficult to put back on after washing.
3. The couch will feel firm for the first 5-7 days. But trust me, it won't be that way for long. We let our kids jump and play on the couch and that has helped break up some of the foam inside. Its super cozy now and soft but it doesn't sag. Once you get up from the couch, the cushions quickly snap back into shape!
4. Reconfiguring your couch is easier than it sounds. I mean it! We first had our couch in a straight sectional shape for the first month of having it. Then we decided one night at around 8pm that we wanted to veg out and watch a movie on the couch and try the W shape. We just jumped up, took the cushions off and moved the bases around and it was done in about 5-10 minutes. The couch uses wood blocks to connect the feet and steel connectors to keep it really set in place - no drills, no tools, no screws. Here is what the couch looks like as it's being assembled:
5. The couch is meant to last a lifetime. No really. It is! I'm not going to sugarcoat it, its really expensive. But you have to look at like an investment. These couches can work with your changing lifestyle as needed so they are meant to stay with you forever. Any piece can be replaced if something horrible happens to it, you can split up a large couch into two smaller ones, or start with a smaller one and add pieces as you please. The covers can be changed at any time so you are not stuck with the same color forever. It's a couch that evolves!
Since buying this couch, we have been so happy! We've had it now for 3 months and I purposely waited to write this review until I knew for sure that this couch was worth the money and was going to be a good fit for our family. It hasn't disappointed! I hope to write more posts and follow-ups explaining the many options you have when rearranging the LoveSac sactionals, so be ready for that but right now we are just loving the comfort of this room and simply finding as many opportunities as we can to all sit back and relax on our big LoveSac!
Shop the Room: