The entryway is such an important part of your home. It sets the tone for the entire house. It's actually the room I've been ignoring since we moved in and I will tell you why! When we first moved in to this sweet 1980's rambler that my grandmother and grandfather built in 1986, it needed some serious updating! This entryway was covered in blue and pink tiny floral print wallpaper that screamed 1986!! Removing it was the first thing we did when we moved in. But once we removed it, our walls were bare and left untextured, unlike the heavily textured walls throughout the rest of the house. We knew we needed to do some major redecorating to this room but we kept putting it off because we were undecided on exactly what to do.
I was interested in wallpapering the room again because it would disguise the unfinished walls but I was nervous to commit to wallpaper using paste because it felt too permanent. I finally found Tempaper and their removable stick-on wallpapers and I knew immediately that this product would work perfectly with my commitment issues! :)
Tempaper is a self-adhesive, adjustable and beautifully designed collection of wallpaper available at Target. Unlike traditional prepasted wallpaper, Tempaper's water based adhesive is easy to remove so when you have to change the look of a room or maybe you are renting and need something not so permanent, Tempaper wallpapers comes off easily and quickly!
I chose the Peonies paper in Gold Leaf because I thought it would really brighten up this space and bring in a modern element to our rustic farmhouse style.
If you are considering hopping on the wallpaper trend, I would seriously recommend looking into Tempaper. Wallpapering can be tricky and difficult so having something that easily readjusts was a wonderful feature. The fact that is just peels off makes it easy to work with. It takes away the anxiety of having to remove it if I ever choose to do so (although, I am not planning on it anytime soon). I wanted to share some tips with you on how to use Tempaper wallpaper in your own home if you are curious about this product:
1. Work with a partner. I actually did this room 100% on my own during nap times for the kids. Although I was able to complete the project on my own, I know having a partner there to help would have made it go so much faster. The instructions for the product do say that this is a two-person job and I just had to go and be a rebel. So my advice is do as I say, and not as I do ;)
2. Measure twice and cut once. That is the saying my husband says to me all the time when we work on a project. It is so important to know your measurements and also know the measurements of the repeat print. This will help you decide how much you need. There will be excess pieces you won't be able to use because the print needs to line up.
3. Use a speed square to make your lines on the paper before you cut. This tool is so handy - I use it for all my projects. Using a speed square will help your cuts to stay level and straight so you don't end up curving your cut and wasting paper.
4. Line up the print in two spots before pressing onto the wall. This will ensure you keep your panels straight up and down and not curving to one side.
5. Save your scraps. I saved all my scraps and they came in handy. I used three rolls in this room and just had enough to get by. To stretch my rolls, I used scraps where I could (like above the doorways). I got a little crafty when the scraps didn't line up perfectly and used a gold sharpie pen to mask the misalignment. The gold sharpie worked perfectly with the gold leaf print! No one is able to tell where I did this!
After wallpapering the room, I needed to freshen up the space with some functional, yet beautiful, entry way items. I headed to target and found these wall hooks to have a convenient place to throw my keys and purse when I first walk in.
I brought in a mirror to open up this narrow space and used a lamp for soft lighting at night. I love lighting candles and having a delicious smelling candle burning when guests come over.
When you first come in, you'll be greeted by this adorable "hello" mat and bright tulips that just make any front door super cheery!
I wouldn't say this room is quite done. I will probably still make some decor tweaks and I definitely need to update our door with a fresh coat of bright paint. But I'm loving this easy makeover so far and hope you do to!
You can shop the entire post below and let me know if you have any questions!