Happy Friday friends! As promised, I am bringing you more pics and some tips on my childrens DIY Christmas table runner! This is a fun and cheap project you can whip up and it will really impress the kiddos on Christmas! Ok here goes!
We will be having a Christmas celebration at our home on December 26th this year with my side of the family and there will be 5 kids total all 7 and under so a fun activity like this is perfect for keeping kids busy and patient while waiting on presents!!
I started with unrolling a white craft paper roll form Michael's onto my table and cutting to the length of the entire table, letting the curled ends wrap around the edges.
I grabbed any old black marker (not permanent) and started near the center of my runner. I wanted a mix of words and pictures so the runner was nothing but exciting and had lots of different options for the kids to color in!
I chose classic Christmas song lyrics and easy Christmas doodles to fill in my runner. When there was blank space, I simply filled in holes with music notes, snowflakes, and holly!
Adding some fun Christmas decor pieces to the center of the table keeps the table fun but also photo app ready! Keep it simple with one big display like this Moose on Parade figure from MacKenzie-Childs and a few baubles with some twinkling battery operated lights. I also created an easy to pass around crayon jar by using my MacKenzie-Childs cookie jar!
I hung stockings on the back of the chairs with a flush push pin. This is a great way to add name tags for assigned seating without using table space! Or hide little treasures in there for the kids to discover!
I kept the entire space kid-friendly by incorporating some kids' decor onto the side table as well. We strung popcorn and recently decorated gingerbread houses and this train which we have left on display for the season!
Want to re-create this runner!? Here are my top 10 tips:
- Use white crafting paper rolls like THIS ONE.
- Use a washable marker - you don't want permanent marker seeping through your paper onto your dining table!
- Stick to big doodles - it will take you forever to finish if you start small and the kids will have an easier time decorating large simple drawings.
- Use the same filler doodles to keep it consistent. I used music notes, holly, and snowflakes to fill in negative space.
- Repeat your favorite doodles and spread them out so that all the kids have similar options. I have several gift boxes and snowmen throughout the runner so that all the kids have a snowman to color!
- Make sure to wrap your art around the table so that it is facing out on all sides.
- Use a 6" ruler to create nice sharp lines for things like gift boxes, snowflakes, gingerbread houses, and gift tags.
- Let the kids get creative: keep your snowmen faceless, keep the gift tags empty, etc. Don't overdo the art! Let the kids do that - its more fun!
- Use prints to add a little pizazz. Think polka dots! Double stripes! Polka dot stripes! Checkers! Plaid! Candy cane stripes!
- Don't worry about messing up! This runner will make your kids so excited to have a fun activity with their cousins or friends and they will never notice if you mess up! Fake it till you make it!
I had such amazing feedback from you all when I shared this on my stories on Instagram - I was really blown away! Thank you for always encouraging me and liking my ideas! You have no idea what that means to me! Here are some snippets of my stories if you missed them:
Find me on Instagram: @houseof5five
I hope you enjoyed this post and I will leave some shopping links for you below for sources! Happy Decemeber everyone!!